Thursday, July 16, 2009

The beginning

This began July 8 about 4:30 a.m. when I had severe pains in my abdomen. After a call to neighbors, Shelley and Joe, to confirm that I should indeed go to ER. (Shelley is a physician with Health Partners.) The pain decreased, Doug took me to ER. Bottom line: I had a ct-scan, which was read by the ER doctor to be ovarian cancer. She wanted me to stay in the hospital and have surgery within a day. Needless to say that didn't work and I got to go home. Whoopee!Doug and I have had wonderful times together and celebrated our 13th anniversary.

Monday, I met my gynecolgist oncologist, Peter Argenta, MD. He is medical director of Gy Onc at Methodist Hospital in St Louis Park, U of M professor and has credentials a mile long. Best of all, he's personable, caring and Doug and I like and trust him.

We looked at the scans with Dr. Agenta. He said it might not be ovarian cancer but something is going on and he wouldn't know until he could look inside but he would remove my ovaries, the omentum (fatty layer around organs) and anything else that is suspicious.

Surgery is 8:00 a.m. July 23 at Methodist.

Right now I feel great. I have no pain. We walked more than a mile today in South Minneapolis by my former home by the Creek and tomorrow I'll go to aqua aerobics.

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers, praying that the cancer is contained and Dr. Argenta can remove it all. I feel completly surrounded in God's love.

Love, Joyce

4 comments:

  1. Holding you both with so much love. Glad to have this way to stay connected.

    Ande

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will pray for you daily, Joyce and Doug. Thank you for setting this blog up so we can know what is happening. We know you are held in God's arms as you walk this journey.
    Our love,
    Barb & Roger livdahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joyce & Doug,
    We are so glad that you've established this blog and that we can stay connected. You are on our minds and in our prayers. Praying that God will bless you and keep you and uphold you with His righteous right hand.
    With Love,
    John, Rachel, Maria & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joyce and Doug!

    Are prayers are with both of you during this time and with Joyce and her medical team for bringing Joyce back to full health again! We have been praying for you and will keep on praying. Just remember that God and all of us are with you!

    Love,

    Kim, Eric, Rob, and Josh

    ReplyDelete